They have been talked about throughout history as being the replacements for real children who are stolen away by monsters. The children are usually taken underground, and fed on by the mother changeling. The changeling that replaces the child looks the same as the original child, but is evil, and acts differently. They will let nothing separate them from their food source. As they feed off the mother of the child they have taken the form of, they will kill anyone who gets in their way. The mother will last a few months and then dies, and the changeling move on to the next neighborhood.
Although they act somewhat like children, the young are cold, and do not seem right, as such some mothers notice that it is not their child.
Changelings true form is discolored, slimy skin, hollow eyes and round mouth with many teeth. A changelings true form can be seen only in reflection in a mirror or other reflective surface.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Super Strength - They have superior strength, but not by much.
- Lamprey-like mouth - They have sharp teeth that allow them to feed on humans, and a lamprey-like mouth.
- Shapeshifting - They can appear human.
- Super Agility - Are able to climb walls to snatch children.
- Invulnerability - Can only be killed by fire, but are not completely invulnerable, and can still be hurt.
- Fire - Setting a changeling on fire will kill it.
- Family -Killing a mother changeling will cause its children to die instantly
- Mirrors - A changeling's true form is revealed in a mirror.
In European folklore and, a changeling is the offspring of a fairy, troll, elf or other legendary creature that has been secretly left in exchange for a human child. The motivation for this conduct stems from the desire to have a human servant (domestic), the love of a human child, or from malice. Some people believed that trolls would take unbaptized children.